Sonography Program FAQs

Diagnostic Medical Sonography FAQs

Who can I contact if I have questions?

You may contact the admissions office at (920) 433- 6650 or the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program director at (920) 433-6643

I have heard that sonographers often have hand or shoulder problems, is this a safe profession?

Sonography requires certain muscles be strong in your arm and shoulder. Many injuries and pain are due to excessive strain with poor ergonomic situations. Bellin College dedicates a class to strengthening muscles, preventing injuries, and providing proper ergonomic scanning techniques. The idea of proper ergonomics is required in all classes and scanning opportunities.

How do I apply?

You can apply for free on the Bellin College website:

What is Bellin College looking for in a prospective student who applies to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program?

• An individual who is knowledgeable about sonography, from either research or observation.
• An individual who knows why they want to enter the profession.
• An enthusiastic, motivated student who maintains high standards for didactic and clinical performance.
• An individual who is strong in science

Is there a waiting list to get into the program?

We do not have a wait list for our program. Our program is competitive; we accept at least six students each year. We recommend getting your application checklist materials in early. Once you are accepted into Bellin College you have direct entry into your program.

What is the salary range for sonographers?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay is $62,250 per year or $30.07 per hour.  This varies depending on geographic location and experience.  The job market is expected to grow 24% over the next ten years.

What types of jobs are available for my career choice once I graduate?

There are many different types of sonography positions. Sonographers can work full-time, part-time, or as needed.  These positions can be found in hospitals, clinics, imaging centers, vein clinics, and surgical centers. Employment can also be found at ultrasound travel companies, equipment vendors, and educational facilities.  There are many job options available for graduates.

Am I able to practice once I graduate?

In order to be a licensed sonographer, you must pass the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) board exams. You will eligible to take your physics, abdomen, ob/gyn, and vascular boards.  In order to practice in the field, you must take the physics board and one other board of your choice.  We recommend you take all four boards prior to graduation.

When do classes meet?

Classes are scheduled Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Occasionally, a study session, clinical, or class period will be held in the evening or weekend.

Am I required to find my own clinical site?

No.  Clinical sites will be provided for you by Bellin College. You will rotate between clinical sites every semester to gain exposure to all sonographic exams.

Back to top