Deaconess Sanitorium Training School for Nurses incorporated at the Britton House under the influence of Dr. Julius Bellin.
In 1909, the first nurses training
class was admitted. Only Eleanor
Martenson completed the
three-year program of the three
The first class curriculum consisted
of 14 courses.
The school was reincorporated as the Wisconsin Deaconess Hospital in November 1912.
The uniforms worn by these
students consisted of blue gingham dresses with crisp white aprons
In 1916, the Britton House was transformed into a residence for graduate nurses. It was renamed Perry Hall in honor of the
Rev. Enoch Perry.
In 1920, for the first time, the training school course is listed as giving a diploma and a hospital pin to each
pupil upon graduation.
The Alumnae Association was organized in 1921.
In 1925, Mrs. Charlotte M. Fowler of Antigo donates $25,000 toward building a residence for students of
the School of Nursing.
In 1925, the name of the hospital was changed to Bellin Memorial Hospital in honor of Dr. Bellin.
School renamed Bellin Memorial Training School in 1928.
In the 1930s an affiliation with Milwaukee Children’s
Hospital provided experiences in childhood diseases to
our nursing students.
In 1933, a plane crash killed
Miss Alice Scribner, a
nursing alum. A bomb
was suggested to cause
In 1942, school name changed to
Bellin Memorial Hospital School
Cadet Nurses Corps had the first graduates in 1944.
The Bellin School of Nursing was fully accredited in 1953.
The school was closed from
1953-1955 due to a nursing
A new curriculum was developed during the school closing
to include more university credit courses and to meet the
educational standards of the day. The curriculum also
included affiliations with the Milwaukee Children’s Hospital,
the Winnebago State Hospital, and the Muirdale Sanitorium.
The Charlotte Fowler Dormitory opened in 1955. A very
generous philanthropist who never permitted her contributions
to be publicized in her lifetime. After her death, her generosity
to Bellin Memorial Hospital was memorialized with the naming
of the new dorm.
Bellin Memorial Hospital School of Nursing reopens in 1955.
In 1955, school begins agreement with UW- Extension and a
bus was provided to transport students to classes.
Bellin Chorus becomes part of
curriculum in 1955.
In 1956, the new library
The Bellin School of
X-ray Technology was
inaugurated in 1957,
founded by Lyle
Edelbute to alleviate
the critical technician
shortage that exists
in the field of
Two students were
admitted to the initial
class in September
1957. A pin and
The first male nursing student,
Ronald Jahnke was admitted
It would be 12 years before another
male student would be admitted,
mainly due to the lack of
coeducational housing facilities.
School renamed Bellin Hospital School of Nursing in 1962.
In 1964, School changes policy and allows students to marry during their nursing education program.
In 1964 Pauline Shellman was the first married woman to be admitted to the program.
In 1967, school becomes first hospital school of nursing in Wisconsin to receive state approval for a changeover to a
three-year academic plan.
In 1968 students were given 2 ½ months off each summer.
In 1970 students were able to obtain financial aid through Federal Nursing Student Loans and scholarships.
In 1970 Bellin tuition charges were $435 dollars each semester.
The teaching and clinical components of the program
were divided into three levels for the first time in August
54 of the 300 applicants were admitted in the August
class of 1973.
In 1975, Bellin School of Nursing
became the only remaining institution
in Northeastern Wisconsin
preparing men and women for
careers in “registered” nursing.
The School of Nursing Administrative offices were
moved to the Charlotte Fowler dormitory in December,
1979. The dormitory no longer housed students, who
preferred to live independently in apartments or other
The 1,000th student was graduated from the school in 1979.
The Bellin freshmen nursing classes were taught at the University of
Wisconsin – Green Bay by Bellin
faculty for the first time in 1979.
The Betty Jameson chair was
established in 1980, a meritorious
award presented to a faculty
member who has positively
contributed to nursing or
In 1983, College receives approval for Bachelor of Science in Nursing
In 1984, Bachelor of Science Nursing (BSN) program admits first students.
School renamed Bellin College of Nursing in 1984.
In 1986, Last graduation from RN diploma program.
Over 1,200 nurses were graduated from the diploma program which was
phased out in June of 1986.
First BSN students receive diplomas in 1986.
Nursing classes were offered for the first time during the summer
On May 29, 1988 the first BSN
The BSN program received accreditation in 1989.
In 1994 the College moved to 725 S. Webster Avenue
Charlotte Fowler Hall, home of the College since 1954
was razed in 1994.
In 1997, the accelerated transfer
option (21 month) was developed.
In 2001, Sophomore transfer option
Permission was received from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) in 2004 for the College to offer the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) in leadership with
two specialty tracks, nursing education and nursing administration.
First MSN students receive diplomas in 2007.
January 2008 marked the first
cohort of students entering a
In 2008, HLC granted permission for the College to offer a Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Sciences
(BSRS) degree and the ability to offer general education courses.
The College moved to its first stand alone campus located in the Village of Bellevue in 2009.
In 2009, school name changed to Bellin College.
In 2009, the College celebrated
In 2013, the first students graduated
with a Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Sciences degree.
In 2014, renovations to the Health Sciences Resource Center labs
begin and are completed by
In May 2015, the first MSN students graduate from the Family Nurse Practitioner program track.
In fall 2015, Bellin College begins collaboration with MCW-Green Bay to add interprofessional education to the curriculum.
In 2015, Bellin College welcomes Medical College of Wisconsin – Green Bay to
In 2016, HLC granted permission for the College to offer a Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (BSDMS).
In 2018, HLC approved the Doctor of Science in Physical Therapy (DScPT), the first terminal degree offered at Bellin College.
Starting in fall 2018, Bellin College began offering all general education courses for undergraduate degrees offered.
In spring 2020, HLC approved a
3-year bachelor's degree in Radiation Therapy (BSRT). The first anticipated cohort will begin in fall 2020.