Bellin College has a distinguished reputation for providing students with a quality education which prepares them for the demands of the rapidly changing healthcare environment. Bellin College has continually restructured its nursing program to meet these health care changes. This devotion is portrayed through Bellin College’s rich heritage and commitment to nursing and healthcare education.
Bellin College first opened its doors to students in 1909 under the name Deaconess Sanitarium Training School. At this time the school offered a three year diploma program. The school operated under this name until it was reincorporated as the Wisconsin Deaconess Training School in 1912.
In 1925, the Board of Directors renamed the institution Bellin Memorial Hospital School of Nursing. Due to the incredible dedication and success of the institution, the school was accredited in the State of Wisconsin in the 1930’s and fully accredited by the National League for Nursing in 1953.
Starting in the early 1980’s the faculty and administration at Bellin College of Nursing examined the changes in the profession and the educational trends in nursing. Based on this examination, a decision was made in 1983 to phase out the three-year diploma nursing education program and implement a four-year baccalaureate nursing education program, granting a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing (BSN). In 1984, the school reincorporated as Bellin College of Nursing. This major transition represented the commitment of Bellin College’s faculty and staff to continue the preparation of quality professional nurses. In fall 1997, the Accelerated Transfer Option was begun to accelerate the nursing component of the curriculum for advanced transfer students, and in summer 2001 the Sophomore Transfer Option was added as another portal of entry to the nursing program. January 2008 marked the first cohort of students entering a 15 Month Option.
Bellin College of Nursing's BSN program received accreditation in 1989 from the Council for Baccalaureate and Higher Degree Programs of the National League for Nursing and from the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Permission was received from HLC in 2004 for the College to offer the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) in leadership with two specialty tracks, nursing education and nursing administration. The first MSN students enrolled in fall 2004, taking courses in a compressed scheduling format with online and traditional classroom options.
In 2008, HLC granted permission for the College to offer a Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Science (BSRS) degree and the ability to offer general education courses.
In July 2009, Bellin College moved from the downtown Green Bay location into the Village of Bellevue. (3201 Eaton Road, Green Bay, WI). The College is a separately incorporated, not for profit, entity of Bellin Health System, Inc., a multi-faceted healthcare organization.
In 2013, the first students graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Science (BSRS) degree.