Blog

Why I love Bellin College

I always knew I wanted to work in health care, but I could never decide what to do in the field.  I knew that radiology was for me after I broke my wrist and needed x-rays. 

My mom has a friend who is a radiologic technologist, so I job shadowed her and asked her about the different schooling options.  She recommended Bellin College because I could get a bachelor’s degree in radiologic sciences there.  I scheduled a tour and was very impressed with the college’s labs and equipment.  I applied and got an interview, and now I am in my junior year of the program!

I am so glad I made the decision to go to school at Bellin College.  The school is constantly expanding and getting better equipment and tools for the students to learn with.  The hands-on education works for me.  Another thing that helps me is the small class sizes and that we have the same teachers almost every year.  I started college being a very shy person, but they have helped me come out of my shell and be confident.  The small classes allow us to build great relationships with our instructors and classmates.  I feel comfortable going to any of my instructors or classmates with any problems I am having.

The instructors are extremely dedicated to helping us succeed.  They offer many office hours where they are available to help students, and I don’t think I’ve ever waited more than 2 hours to get a reply back from an e-mail!  My class told our program director, Mark Bake, that we were interested in doing a mission trip that was related to radiology.  Since then he has researched and found us many options to choose from. He even found us an option where the trip could count as one of our general education credits. This example really shows that the staff will do anything to expand our education and enhance our experience with Bellin College.

Another example of the staff helping the students is the new organization at the college, Lamda Nu.  This is a National Honor Society specifically for the Imaging Sciences. Last year my class mentioned that we would like more opportunities to get involved in the college and community, but a lot of the student organizations are either nursing specific, or only accept a couple students at a time. I am now a part of Lamda Nu! I’m so glad I have another way to spend time with my classmates and get involved, and it will look wonderful on my resume when I apply for jobs.

The part of my education that I love most is clinical.  Bellin students are able to go many different sites for clinical.  Many radiology programs just put you in one place for your entire clinical time.  I currently go to 4 different places each semester.  This is extremely helpful for students because we are able to see what we like and do not like.  For instance, some students love hospital settings and others love the clinics. Another benefit of going to many places is that we have the opportunity to learn from a lot of different technologists. Every technologist does things just a little bit different. This helped me find strategies that work for me.

So in conclusion, I love Bellin College! I cannot imagine myself anywhere else. I am confident that I am getting the best education there is in radiologic sciences. I encourage anyone interested in applying to do a tour. You will be amazed with all the equipment available for the students. In the future, I see Bellin expanding even more and continuing to improve!

Back to top