Bellin Student Nurses Association (BSNA) prepares students for the future
Bellin College prides itself in attracting highly engaged students that through education and experience, are able to develop into future healthcare leaders. One way students can gain experience is by getting involved in student organizations.
One student organization, Bellin Student Nurses Association (BSNA), has hosted and coordinated various events, activities, and fundraisers this past academic year. BSNA promotes professional development and community involvement for the profession of nursing. The group participates in state and national conventions and national student nurses week. The organization has been recognized at local, state, and national levels for their community work related to cancer prevention.
Here are a few highlights of the students accomplishments from the 2016-2017 academic year:
Spring Festival is a free event open to all kids 12 and under. Attendees participated in cookie decorating, pick a duck-win a prize, coloring contest, cake walk, planting flowers, sucker tree, washable tattoos, face painting, jelly bean guess, hula hooping contest, fishing pond, football toss, pin the tail on the bunny, minute to win it games, photo booth, penny drop, caterpillar craft, PLINKO, dice game, monstro bubble, space slime, teddy bear check-up station, and an Easter egg hunt!
- 4th annual Spring Festival was held on Saturday, April 8
- 22 activity booths
- 500 kids in attendance
- Approximately 45 volunteers consisting of students and their families
- All stations were donated materials from BSNA members and faculty
- BSNA set aside some money from their budget to cover prize and food expenses
BSNA partners with the local American Red Cross chapter to set up blood drive to help community members. The need for blood is constant and only volunteer donors can fulfill that need for patients in our community. Nationwide, someone needs blood every two to three seconds, and most of us will need blood in our lifetime.
- 3rd annual Blood drive was held on Wednesday, March 29
- 47 appointments scheduled
- 30 usable units was the goal
- 34 successful donations! Potentially saving 102 lives! Highest amount for Bellin College to date!
Wisconsin Student Nurses Association 68th Annual Convention was held February 3-5 at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells. The theme this year was “World of Opportunities.” Bellin College had 14 students and two faculty members attend. Alesha O’Bright, Kelsey Thompson, and Abby Bieber represented the Bellin College Chapter as delegates, and attended the House of Delegates meeting, where they discussed each college chapter.
Key Note Speaker: Nurse Kelley Johnson
Topic highlights by speakers:
Each student attended four break out sessions during the three-day convention.
- Blood Center – Be The Match Registry
- A Career in Nurse Anesthesia
- Cultural Competence
- Birthing and Newborn Resuscitation Project
- Animal Assisted Therapy and Interventions
- Travel Nursing 101
- Life as a Peds Nurse
- Forensic Nursing – Sexual Assault Nurse
- Legislative Advocacy
- Nurse Practitioner – Peds NP
- Opportunities in Correctional Nursing
- Long-Term Nursing & Your Career Ladder
- Kaplan NCLEX-RN Success Seminar
- Road to Midwifery
- Informatics Nursing
Letter to the Senator
Two Students, Katie Gehl and Lauren Enderle, wrote a letter to the senator on behalf of BSNA regarding the concern of the Epi Pen crisis and proposed a letter of resolution to the Wisconsin Convention Board. After being approved by the Wisconsin State Directors at the Wisconsin Student Nurses’ Association, the letter was sent to Senator Tammy Baldwin, who responded back with her appreciation for the students’ voice and her efforts to address this issue. This was a very big moment for BSNA!
Sexual Assault Drive Donation (Service Project)
BSNA participates in a service project at least one time per year. This fall, the students decided to organize a clothing/item collection drive at the College, and donated the supplies and funds to sexual assault victims in local hospitals.
BSNA coordinates various fundraising events throughout the semester to help raise funds to send students to the state and national nursing conventions. Attending the conventions builds leadership skills and adds to their personal growth. The students bring ideas and topics for improvement from the conventions back to Bellin College to discuss. The hope is to implement these topics into their everyday practice, and into the local community.
Examples of fundraisers BSNA organizes:
- Bulb flower sale
- T-shirt sale
- Caramel apple sale
- Candy cane sale
- Festival Foods Brat Barn each semester
Other community involvement
- Donated funds and volunteered for the 5K Breast Cancer Walk hosted at Lambeau Field
- Volunteered in the medical tent for the Color Run
- Hosted a booth at the Bellevue Trick-Or-Treat Trail
- Volunteered at the Rennes Retirement Home BINGO Day
- Rang bells for the Salvation Army
- Packed pills for Friends of Haiti
As you can see, BSNA is a very community and school orientated organization. There are many areas of opportunities for students to get involved and give back to the community through helping others, volunteerism, and professional development. During the 2016-2017 academic year, BNSA had approximately 80 members. If you are a current or future Bellin College student, consider joining the organization. Your involvement with BSNA will make a lasting impact on your future.
Contributed by: Stacey Rouse, BSN Class of 2017, BSNA President