Blog

Getting involved helped me grow as a person and future technologist

By: Katie Lipke
BSRS Class of 2017

Hello! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior in the radiologic sciences program. I just returned from a life changing medical mission trip to Guatemala. Why was it life changing, you ask? Many reasons! First of all, it made me realize how much we take for granted in America. Showers, shoes, and toothbrushes – all things we use every day were all special for Carrying supplies in Guatemalathe people we saw. Second of all, it made me understand that healthcare is not just checking vitals, getting a chest x-ray, or administering a flu shot. It is all the care that goes beyond that – for example walking through waste deep water carrying out supplies over our head to get to the villages! During the trip, we spent two days in a children’s hospital and three days running clinics in villages near our camp. I want to encourage you that when you get the chance to go on a mission trip, please do not pass up the opportunity. 

child kissing Bellin student on cheekThe mission trip was just one of the many incredible experiences I have had here at Bellin College. Another favorite of mine was the trip down to Chicago to attend RSNA, one of the world’s largest annual medical meetings. Here we saw the newest technology and equipment. It was amazing! This coming April I will also be attending a Student Symposium put on by the Wisconsin Society of Radiologic Technologists, held in the Wisconsin Dells. Every BSRS student gets a chance to go on these trips, and I wouldn’t miss it!

students raising moneyA lot of my other favorite experiences at Bellin were through the clubs and organizations I am in. I am involved in the Bellin Ambassadors Club, Lambda Nu Honor Society, and Bellin’s chapter of IHI (Institute for Healthcare Improvement). My junior year we held a fundraiser that allowed students to vote for an instructor or faculty member to be pied in the face! Safe to say that was pretty fun! I highly encourage you to get involved in student organizations. They are a great way to meet friends and make memories.

student pies a professorAlthough it was fun to watch an instructor being pied, I couldn’t speak more highly of our faculty and staff here at Bellin. The education and clinical experience I have received the last four years has been outstanding. The instructors here want you to succeed, and will help you get there no matter what it takes. The labs at the college are out of this world. My favorite is the surgical suite. It was nice to be able to practice running a C-arm in surgery before I was in a real case. Surgery is now my favorite thing to do at clinical, and that is partially because I was prepared going in. I know I will be ready to enter the field come May.

student organizing shoes for donationSo to close, I want to encourage you to take advantage of all the opportunities you will be given at Bellin College. And there will be a lot – so get involved! These opportunities have helped me grow as a person and future technologist. I have gained friends, memories, and an education that will last a lifetime.student and faculty photo in Guatemala

Back to top