Blog

Future radiologic technologist found her calling at job shadow

By: Kayli Mallien,
BSRS Class of 2019

I always knew that I wanted to go into the healthcare field, but was unsure of exactly what I wanted to do. I attended UW-La Crosse, with the intent of becoming a physical therapist. I didn’t like being away from my family so, during my second year, I started researching other school options. After researching  Bellin College, I became interested in the radiologic sciences program. I had the opportunity to talk to alumni and faculty and loved their passion for the profession. I decided to participate in a job shadow in the field and became intrigued. I love the fact that I can work with a variety of patients, learn about new technology and work in a fast-paced environment. I also liked that, within radiologic sciences, there are many modalities I can choose.  

Bellin College has so much to offer. I chose Bellin College because of the remarkable campus, small class sizes, and the option to receive a bachelor’s degree. The Health Sciences Resource Center on campus houses state-of-the-art technology that we’re able to use in and out of the classroom for hands-on learning. We’re able to use X-ray rooms, a mammography room, and a surgery suite – all right on campus. I liked Bellin College because I knew that small class sizes would help me to feel more comfortable. Another reason I chose Bellin College was because of their direct admissions. I didn’t want to wait to continue my education, and now I will be able to get my bachelor’s degree in four years. After graduation, I will have the opportunity to go into modalities such as MRI, CT or mammography.

I couldn’t have asked for a better experience at Bellin College. I am receiving a well-rounded education that will help me succeed in my future career. During the past two years, my clinical experience brought me to many clinics and hospitals. This is beneficial because now I will have an idea of where I want to go when I graduate. When I attended UW-La Crosse, I felt like a number. At Bellin College, students and faculty care about you and want to see you succeed. I have been able to form friendships with my classmates and teachers, and I wouldn’t have been able to do that at many other schools.

Bellin College has allowed me to get involved in many student organizationsI am currently a student ambassador, member of Lambda Nu Medical Imaging Honor Society, and involved with the Bellin College Love Your Melon Campus CrewI love having the opportunity to get involved in a variety of organizations. As a member of Love Your Melon, I have been able to set up card-making stations, make blankets, and help to raise money and awareness for children’s cancer. It’s so awesome that such a small school like Bellin College is able to be a part of this organization!

After graduation, my goal is to work in a hospital setting. I enjoy the variety and the fast-paced environment hospitals have to offer. I love general X-ray, so right now that’s where I see myself. I am also excited to learn about the other radiologic sciences modalities, so who knows what specialty I’ll end up in after graduation!

Back to top