Blog

Three of the best years of my life!

KelseyBy: Kelsey Tavs
BSN Class of 2018

I remember reading a senior student’s blog post, like the one I am writing now, as a little freshman here at Bellin College thinking, “Wow, this girl sure made the most of her experience here at Bellin College. I hope to make the most out of my time here like she did.” And before I knew it, here I am. A senior. Graduating and fulfilling my dreams of becoming a nurse in a little over eight months. Living the dream at Bellin College.

Here is a glimpse of three of the best years of my life!

Why Bellin?

My sister, Julie, who is 18 years older than me, is my ultimate role model in life. She graduated from Bellin College of Nursing in 2001. Of course, her baby sister aspired to follow her footsteps. I walked into this school for a tour and something told me it was the place I was meant to receive my education. As much as I don’t want to say it was love at first sight, it was love at first sight. The small, family-like environment is priceless. My classmates are my forever friends and the faculty, who know me personally, are positive influences who I will always appreciate and remember. Although I truly respect each faculty member here at Bellin, I would like to give a special shoutout to Professor Malina Herber. Thank you for investing in your students, caring as much as you do, and challenging me to be the best version of myself. I hope to be half the nurse and person you are someday.

Student Organizations

Love Your MelonI have served as a Bellin College Ambassador, the secretary of the Institution for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), a class representative for the Bellin Student Nurses Association, a member of Love Your Melon, and my personal favorite, the student leader of Bellin College InterVarsity. Being a part of these organizations has provided me the opportunity build upon my leadership skills, form solid lifelong friendships, hang with childhood cancer survivors, serve the homeless, attend the National Forum for IHI in Orlando, Florida, and much, much more. These organizations have played a huge role in my amazing experience here.

Bellin College InterVarsity (BCIV)

This organization deserves its own paragraph as it will always hold a special place in my heart. People before me saw the need and started up a bible study. Little did I know then, but I came at the perfect time to push it to the next level — to make this group an official organization with the help of motivated faculty and fellow students. God’s timing coming in clutch? Definitely. BCIV is a group that focuses on incorporating spirituality into our practice as healthcare professionals as well as serving as a place to develop a personal relationship with God. BCIV is the first established Christian-based organization the college has ever had. In my eyes, having an outlet to fill ourselves is essential before going out to pour into others. As proud as I am to be a part of the establishment of this group, I give God all the credit. His hand was in every detail. I pray that BCIV will be a fruitful organization that offers an encouraging community to everyone at the college for many years to come.

What’s next?

In January, I am privileged to be a part of an awesome group of people traveling to Guatemala for a 10-day medical mission trip. As much as I hope to provide for these people, I know I’ll be the one who comes back changed. After graduation in May, I will be moving to the Milwaukee area with my husband, Arik, (he is the best, by the way) who will be obtaining his Doctorate of Physical Therapy at Concordia University. I hope to land a nursing position that allows me to implement all I have learned from Bellin College and build upon the personal values I have established here. I expect nursing to be both challenging and rewarding. I’m ready to take on this challenge to reap the rewards, even if they seem small. Who knows? Maybe I will be back to college at some point in life to serve on the other side of education – teaching students how to become the best nurses they can be.

Kelsey with MikeI was once told that no matter what stage of life you are finishing, to “end well.” This is what I hope to accomplish in the next eight months. To the freshman reading this, maybe hoping to be in my shoes like I did with the senior blog writer, hoping to make the most of your experience in college, I advise you to get involved, make connections, be kind, pour your heart and soul into everything you do, and love every minute of it. College flies by. It will be over before you know it. Grow to love your experience here and end well.

Thank you for reading my story.

Back to top