Blog

Greatest experience of my life

004_250x200_acf_croppedBy: Dylan Hamilton

BSN Class of 2018

My name is Dylan Hamilton and I am in the Nursing Junior Transfer Option. To sum up in a few words before delving into the most amazing experience of my life I would say I have a passion for the ocean, sailing, and a genuine love for tradition, adventure, originality, and uniqueness.

On Christmas Day 2015 the most magical evening occurred. It was 85 degrees with a soft breeze of 15 knots out of the south. The smell of the sea, Cuban cigars, rum, and sea food filled the air with the occasional sound of a vessel’s horn blasting throughout the historic sea port of Key West. My father, mother, sister, girlfriend, and I were sitting seaside enjoying the scenery, each other’s company, and the aroma that swirled throughout the Caribbean breeze. Shortly after consuming the catch of the day I announced I had a surprise. As my family and girlfriend followed me into the marina, past the mega yachts, we arrived at a classy sailboat. A few months prior I arranged to privately charter this boat in hopes for a fantastic evening off the coast of Key West, Christmas Day.

As we boarded this beautiful vessel the Captain and first mate greeted us; some “true salty sea dogs” weathered by the Caribbean sun and the salt of the ocean. A quick tour of the boat and the firing of the diesel engine we were shortly underway passing through Bight Historic Seaport. About 20 minutes out to sea the engine was turned off and all that was heard were the sails catching the wind; it was amazing. My girlfriend and I took seats up to the bow of the boat to enjoy the scenery and capture the true essence of sailing… especially off a historic Caribbean island. Another 20 minutes passed when I asked Rosie, my girlfriend, to stand up and hold on to the most forward mast of the boat, not to turn around. My father, mother, and sister were directly behind us on the bow of the boat when I pulled out a little black piano veneer box. I am sure you know what happens next. I gradually descended to one knee and confidently asked Rosie to turn around… there I was waiting with a beautiful diamond ring as the Caribbean sun shone through the center stone and surrounding diamonds. We fell together as she said “YES,” shedding some tears. Champagne bottles popped, music from Jimmy Buffett began blaring, and we all simply peered into one another’s eyes with smiles that contagiously grew to a laugh. It was complete, my plan was accomplished and Rosie and I were officially engaged. For never flying or seeing mother ocean I prayed this would make a lasting imprint for my future wife.

img_0215We sailed around the island approximately another hour where yachts, sailboats, crewships, and historic pirate tour boats glided past us. The first mate had a bright neon pink sign held up on the boat stating “She Said Yes,” catching the eyes of many that sailed past. There was even an old pirate ship that fired a cannon that echoed off the neighboring shores… it was picturesque as the sun tucked behind the western horizon. A hundred more photos were taken and shortly after it was time to head to port. Captain Dees slowed the boat and came close to the shores of Key West. Thousands of people gathered from around the world to celebrate Christmas and watch the famous sunset at Mallory Square. Within seconds there were people clapping, whooping, hollering, and taking photos of us…. They must have seen the “She Said Yes” sign! All of a sudden the clapping rose to a loud roar of the crowd. Tears ran down Rosie’s cheeks that caused the same reaction to my eyes. It was the best day of my life.

Why I chose the nursing program at Bellin College:

I chose to attend Bellin College for a number of reasons and the most important being the shear compassion and caring for the success of the students. The difference is on the inside and the faculty is what makes this institution world renown. Everything I have experienced thus far has been a complete shock. The welcoming/orientation, the selflessness of the professors driven for your success, smiling faces everywhere you turn, and the genuineness that comes with every person. It truly is a difference and sets the standards far above the colleges in the area, if not the Midwest. I am thoroughly impressed with the dedication the staff has to their students, and that is exactly what is missing in today’s educational establishments. It is an environment filled with positivity in all avenues, all departments, and all you encounter. Success is important within these walls but it is handled the correct way as stated “A Better Education… A Better Future.” I firmly believe the staff of Bellin College foresees the future in our hands and they make every effort to assure we will provide the best medical care through excellence, community, caring, and integrity.

img_0224I have seen myself in the medical profession for as long as I can remember. Dating back to early middle school I can recall a career fair that opened my eyes to a lot of great professions. One in particular stood out… a CRNA. Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists are medical professionals who are trained and board certified to induce anesthesia for surgeries. I thought this was an interesting field so I began to look into it. I can recall as a young lad dressing up as a doctor in scrubs and playing with fake syringes… maybe it was a sign? I began to research the profession into high school and applied for a medical mentoring program which accepted only a few students per year. After choosing the desired field to shadow I was in the Operating Room a few weeks later in the Anesthesiology department. From there on I was hooked. It was a beautiful thing and the bedside manner these doctors provided was like none seen before. Continuing my education, I began building these professional relationships and was shadowing anesthesiologists 1-2 per week. Two physicians took me under their wing as my mentors and it has been a life changing experience ever since. They teach mea multitude of skills both clinically and personally with patients and they are not hindered by having a student at their side. They simply introduce me to the patient as if I were a co-worker (which I am not) but they have a passion for making others successful; just as Bellin College does. While shadowing one of my mentors I have caught a little phrase he says before induction, it goes like this, “I will be watching over you very closely.” Now does that not just melt your heart? That specific statement has had me thinking ever since the first time it was said. There are dozens of visions to how people perceive us as healthcare professionals and that testimony says… “ I am your guardian angel for the time being.” Personally that is my calling in the field, to be a guardian angel to all those I provide care to. I greatly look forward to the journey ahead and know the support of all will maintain the foundation for success at Bellin College.

Back to top